On 8 December 2015 at 20:53, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 12/8/15 1:07 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
>
> Certainly I do have the feeling that as an
>> end user, obtaining an XMPP account is now very hard, with the effective
>> closure of end-user services from jabber.org <http://jabber.org> (the
>> obvious go-to public server) and the dropping of XMPP by Google Talk -
>>

> I'm not sure I'd say "very hard" - there are still plenty of servers
> listed at xmpp.net. Could it be easier? Probably. It might be good to
> have a page about that at the new xmpp.org website.

By comparison to ${ARBITRARY_IM_SERVICE}, yes, I think it is very hard. Our
on-boarding process is nothing like as easy as the somewhat commonplace
"Download app, run app, do some registration dance" - instead it's
"Download app, go to some website, go to some other website and try to
figure out how to create an account, configure app."

It was better - for the user - when XEP-0077 was commonplace, since at
least a client should ship with a list of servers. Of course, that level of
simplicity brought its own problems, but I think we could make that process
a lot smoother without compromising security entirely.

Dave.