On 12/8/15 2:01 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:

On 8 December 2015 at 20:53, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im
<mailto:stpe...@stpeter.im>> wrote:

    On 12/8/15 1:07 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:

        Certainly I do have the feeling that as an
        end user, obtaining an XMPP account is now very hard, with the
        effective
        closure of end-user services from jabber.org <http://jabber.org>
        <http://jabber.org> (the
        obvious go-to public server) and the dropping of XMPP by Google
        Talk -

    I'm not sure I'd say "very hard" - there are still plenty of servers
    listed at xmpp.net <http://xmpp.net>. Could it be easier? Probably.
    It might be good to have a page about that at the new xmpp.org
    <http://xmpp.org> website.

By comparison to ${ARBITRARY_IM_SERVICE}, yes, I think it is very hard.
Our on-boarding process is nothing like as easy as the somewhat
commonplace "Download app, run app, do some registration dance" -
instead it's "Download app, go to some website, go to some other website
and try to figure out how to create an account, configure app."

It was better - for the user - when XEP-0077 was commonplace, since at
least a client should ship with a list of servers. Of course, that level
of simplicity brought its own problems, but I think we could make that
process a lot smoother without compromising security entirely.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yes, I completely agree.

It would be great to figure out a better onboarding process and I know that Matthew Wild was thinking about that but I don't know if he got to the point of writing code...

Peter