On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 1:36:33 AM UTC+1, Daniel Beck wrote:

> On 01.10.2015, at 15:36, Victor Martinez <victormar...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > - Does the plugin integrate well with Jenkins? Does it work well in
> secured and distributed Jenkins?
> >    As I already mention "secured" shouldn't pruned any plugins as long
> as those are heavily used by the community and it is an open source version
>
> I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. If a plugin, without warning
> you, undermines whatever security the admin sets up, it should not be
> available in this dialog.
>
> > - Are the features it provides useful to someone fairly new to Jenkins?
> >    What do you mean about someone fairly new to Jenkins? Configuration
> as Code (Workflow, JobDSL or jenkins builder) will be fairly complex to
> understand by someone new to Jenkins, even using  you use Workflow, don't
> you think?Then some of those recommended plugins don't follow this
> criteria.
>
> You'll notice I left out plugins that, secured or not, are mostly useful
> when scripting around in Jenkins internals. The kind of plugin that makes
> people file issues like JENKINS-26416 or JENKINS-24790. For example, Groovy
> Postbuild and Scriptler fall into this category.
>
> Looking at the list of plugins you're showing me I can say with confidence
> that this setup dialog is not meant for you, but that's okay -- it's not
> meant for me either! It is for getting less (or in-)experienced users
> started with a useful set of features, rather than dumping them into an
> empty instance that doesn't even have their SCM.

I think we all agree that the wizard should have a trimmed down list of
"suggested" plugins, where the "suggested" plugins are a subset of "all"
plugins and the "recommended" plugins are a subset of the "suggested"
plugins:

   - "all" (> 1000 plugins)
      - "suggested" (< 100 plugins atm)
         - "recommended" (< 20 plugins atm)

I'd hope all would agree that having the wizard display "all" plugins (by
default) is just plain nuts :) That's not going to help anyone (new or
veteran Jenkins user). I'd hope all would agree that we just list/show the
"suggested" plugins (by default).

So what do I mean by "by default" ? To me, the scrollable list of
"suggested" plugins is most useful to new Jenkins users (and probably even
new to CI/CD). I think it's really only new users that will NOT filter the
list in some way - simply coz they're not sure what they're looking for and
so wouldn't know what to filter on. To me, this is the only group to which
the "suggested" list of plugins makes sense. Most other users will very
likely know what they're looking  and so will filter the list Vs scrolling
all the suggested plugins (~100 of).

I think once the user starts applying a filter to the selection (by typing
in the search box) then we could actually filter on "all" Jenkins plugins
(all 1000+ of them). In other words, we can think of the "suggested"
plugins as just being the "default" filtered list.