> On 16. May 2018, at 13:14, James Nord <jn...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone also wanting to consume incrementals via a proxy would need to write
> tooling to garbage collect releases and there is also the Maven principal
> that you never garbage collect releases, let alone the impact this will have
> on other pipelines that do canary builds by picking up the latest *release*
> of a artifacts/plugins in order to do bleeding edge testing in our pipelines.
> And that is also discounting the ability once it is in our mirror for things
> to accidentally depend on these releases.

I don't understand these concerns.

While Maven treats these artifacts as releases, that's about the extent of the
problem. If you don't use repo.j.o/incrementals as a repository containing
regular releases, none of that should be relevant. In fact,
repo.j.o/incrementals is not part of the repo.j.o/public virtual repository
typically referenced in settings.xml and POMs. Why would there be consumers of
incremental releases that are also unaware of the retention policy?

And don't dependencies on snapshots that get garbage collected break the same
as dependencies on non-snapshots, if there's no matching release?