> On May 16, 2018, at 6:16 PM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> I am not actually sure whether the collection scheme was
> even implemented, or if so, whether this is custom tooling or some
> stock feature of Artifactory. Daniel could speak to that.

No such feature I’m aware of. There’s configurable snapshot retention but not
for releases because of that Maven philosophy :-) And we’ve not needed the
feature for snapshots since we don’t use those all that often.

That said, Artifactory has a mostly nice API, and also tracks # of downloads
and date of last download of any given artifact, so we can rather easily
implement GC taking that into account — the simplest one, just nuking whatever
is >N days old and has never been downloaded, might be pretty safe and very
effective, if my expectation that most incrementals builds will never be
downloaded is correct.

> Of course
> this can already happen quite easily with upstream release versions
> marked `-alpha` or `-beta`, or in cases where the upstream plugin is
> excluded from the UC. The best solution is for the UC generation code
> to actually perform a consistency check before publishing
> anything—that seems like the very least we could do to prevent
> accidents.

We’ve already had that when plugins were blacklisted for security reasons, and
forgot to check its dependencies. Not to mention unsatisfiable dependencies on
tiered update sites (a dependency needs a newer core than the current tier),
etc.

It should be noted however that the runtime of update center generation is very
easy to increase by orders of magnitude unless implemented carefully, so a real
solution ensuring consistency of the created JSON (in a manner not just failing
the build if inconsistent) probably requires something approaching a rewrite.