I also really want to see issues.jenkins go away, but mostly due to how
slow it is. I don't think cloud is a lot better, but way less maintenance
for people.

I think the big push in the past for jira was because you couldn't migrate
issues between repos before in github. That got changed.. though you still
need write permission in both repos, so regular users can't migrate issues
-
https://help.github.com/en/github/managing-your-work-on-github/transferring-an-issue-to-another-repository
- so its better, but not great. Most users are randomly guessing what
components to assign things to, often just using the auto complete. For
example, https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-44148 I added the
core component because after digging around on the pipeline steps doc, I
learned that archiveArtifact is a "core" step. Though now that I think
about it, it probably means the basic pipeline steps. Its really hard to
figure out which component/repo pipeline issues should go into.

With github I can "watch" the entire repo, so new PRs and new issues get
emailed to me. Doesn't matter if i'm the maintainer (single or multiple),
or just a random user trying to help out.

With jira, I'm either auto assigned the issue due to whatever component was
first picked, or nothing at all. Groups of maintainers can't be notified.
Un-assigned tickets don't get notified. I like many others don't want to
assign it to me until I'm working on it, so someone else could take it if
they wanted.
I will say the cloud model of jira is super easy to make plugins for now,
and I bet if we could reach out to
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213851/watch-it-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview
to get some sort of open source deal.

So far no solution is great for me, I'm a slight preference for github (but
maybe jira cloud if auto watching can be handled), but I agree fully that
consistency is good. I never really look at jira as it stands right now its
such a huge mess.

Gavin