I believe that the plan from the Contributor Summit aligns with Oleg's vote
that he cast in advance.  The Platform SIG will meet today and has Java 11
on the agenda for further discussion.

Contributor summit notes are recorded in a Google Doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BwllcgX3rmsvwRKIFkmE24g7zHGo8kufcimL0BnWaWE/edit?usp=sharing>.

The YouTube video <https://youtu.be/Hger_BTp3D0> of the session is also
available.

My summary of the proposed plan from the Contributor Summit is:

Weekly release

   - Jenkins Docker controller images for weekly releases switch to Java 11
   4-6 weeks before the September LTS release.  That includes
   jenkins/jenkins:latest, jenkins/jenkins:alpine, jenkins/jenkins:centos7,
   and more.
   - Jenkins Docker controller images for weekly releases add a Java 8 tag
   4-6 weeks before the September LTS release as an escape hatch for users
   that require Java 8.  That would be jenkins/jenkins:latest-jdk8,
   jenkins/jenkins:alpine-jdk8, and jenkins/jenkins:centos7-jdk8

LTS release

   - Jenkins Docker controller images for LTS releases switch to Java 11
   with the September LTS release.  That includes jenkins/jenkins:lts,
   jenkins/jenkins:lts-alpine, jenkins/jenkins:centos7, and more
   - Jenkins Docker controller images for LTS releases add a Java 8 tag
   with the September LTS release   as an escape hatch for users that require
   Java 8.  That would be jenkins/jenkins:lts-jdk8,
   jenkins/jenkins:lts-alpine-jdk8, and jenkins/jenkins:lts-centos7-jdk8

A blog post will be provided for the weekly change and an additional blog
post and an upgrade guide entry will be provided for the LTS change.

A JEP will be submitted that details the proposed transition plan so that
we can review the transition plan in greater detail.

We'll discuss further and in more detail in the Platform SIG meeting later
today.

Mark Waite