From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ryan Crumley
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 11:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: JESS: Jess IDE -> Eclipse plug-in

I guess it is time for me to chime in my opinion. I use Eclipse on an
everyday basis and have developed plugins for it in the past. I also use
jess quite a bit, although lately our jess implementation hasn't had any
bugs so I haven't had to touch it. =)

The main down side I see to using Eclipse for a Jess IDE is that the
download is quite large (something around 60mb). For a casual jess user
this could be annoying. However, with that 60mb you get quite a bit of
power... You get a great java ide, and presumably a great jess ide (not
to mention integrated cvs, ant, junit, ect).

The other down side is the memory footprint of eclipse isn't tiny, so if
you were to run it just for the jess ide it may be an overkill (actually
it is possible that without loading the java plugins the memory
footprint would be a lot smaller).

But using eclipse to build the jess ide provides a lot of benifits...
first, you get a first class ide framework for free (free as in no
money, and free as in no development time). Second, you get a great UI
that is easy to use and works on multiple platforms...

That being said, I think the jess ide should be build on whatever has
the best potential for enhancing developer productivity with jess. If
that happens to be Eclipse, good. If not, I can't wait to see what is
better than eclipse. =)

ryan