From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daily devotions for 08-27-2005:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Joy in the Covenant
Evening Title: The Light of Jesus
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: Joy in the Covenant
"He hath commanded His covenant for ever."  --Psalm 111:9

The Lord's people delight in the covenant itself.
 It is an unfailing source of consolation to them so often as the Holy Spirit
leads them into its banqueting house and waves its banner of love.
They delight to contemplate the&nbs p;antiquity of that covenant, remembering
that before the day-star knew its place, or planets ran their round, the
interests of the saints were made secure in Christ Jesus. It is peculiarly
pleasing to them to remember the sureness of the covenant, while meditating
upon "the sure mercies of David." They
delight to celebrate it as "signed, and sealed, and ratified, in all things
ordered well." It
often makes their hearts dilate with joy to think of its immutability, as a
covenant which neither time nor eternity, life nor death, shall ever be able to
violate--a covenant as old as eternity and as everlasting as the Rock of ages.
They rejoice also to feast upon the fulness of this covenant, for they see in
it all things provided for them.

God is their portion, Christ their companion, the Spirit their Comforter, earth
their lodge, and heaven their home. They see in it an inheritance reserved and
entailed to every soul possessing an interest in its ancient and eternal deed
of gift.
Their eyes sparkled when they saw it as a treasure-trove in the Bible; but oh!
how their
souls were glad dened when they saw in the last will and testament of their
divine kinsman, that it was bequeathed to them! More especially it is the
pleasure of God's people to contemplate the graciousness of this covenant. They
see that the law was made void because it was a covenant of works and depended
upon merit, but this they perceive to be enduring because grace is the basis,
grace the condition, grace the strain, grace the bulwark, grace the foundation,
grace the topstone. The covenant is a treasury of wealth, a granary of food, a
fountain of life, a store-house of salvation, a charter of peace, and a haven
of joy.

Evening: The Light of Jesus
"The people, when they beheld Him, were greatly amazed, and running to Him
saluted Him."   --Mark 9:15

How great the difference between Moses and Jesus!
When the prophet of Horeb had been forty days upon the mountain, he underwent a
kind of transfiguration, so that his countenance shone with exceeding
brightness, and he put a veil over his face, for the people could not endure to
look upon his glory. Not so our Saviour. He had been transfigured with a
greater glory than that of Moses, and yet, it is not written that the people
were blinded by the blaze of His countenance, but rather they were amazed, and
running to Him they saluted Him. The glory of the law repels, but the greater
glory of Jesus attracts.

Though Jesus is holy and just, yet blended with His purity there is so much of
truth and grace, that sinners run to Him amazed at His goodness, fascinated by
His love; they salute Him, become His disciples, and take Him to be their  Lord
and Master. Reader, it may be that just now you are blinded by the dazzling
brightness of the law of God. You feel its claims on your conscience, but you
cannot keep it in your life. Not that you find fault with the law, on the
contrary, it commands your profoundest esteem, still you are in nowise drawn by
it to God; you are rather hardened in heart, and are verging towards
desperation. Ah, poor heart! turn thine eye from Moses, with all his repelling
splendour, and look to Jesus, resplendent with milder glories. Behold His fl
owing wounds and thorn-crowned head! He is the Son of God, and therein He is
greater than Moses, but He is the Lord of love, and therein more tender than
the lawgiver. He bore the wrath of God, and in His death revealed more of God's
justice than Sinai on a blaze, but that justice is now vindicated, and
henceforth it is the guardian of believers in Jesus. Look, sinner, to the
bleeding Saviour, and as thou feelest the attraction of His love, fly to His
arms, and thou shalt be saved.