From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daily devotions for 09-08-2005:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Inventiveness
Evening Title: Seas of Tempest
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: Inventiveness
"And when they could not come nigh unto Him for the press, they uncovered the
roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed
wherein the sick of the palsy lay."
    --Mark 2:4

Faith is full of inventions. The house was full, a crowd blocked up the door,
but faith found a way of getting at the Lord and placing the palsied man before
Him. If we cannot get sinners
where Jesus is by ordinary methods we must use extraordinary ones. It seems,
according to Luke 5:19, that a tiling had to be removed, which would make dust
and cause a measure of danger to those below, but where the case is very urgent
we must not mind running some risks and shocking some proprieties. Jesus was
there to heal, and therefore fall what might, faith ventured all so that her
poor paralyzed charge might have his sins forgiven. O that we had more daring
faith among us! Cannot we, dear reader, seek it this morning for ourselves and
for our fellow-workers, and will we not try to-day to perform some gallant act
for the love of souls and the glory of the Lord.

The world is constantly inventing; genius serves all the purposes of human
desire: cannot faith
invent too, and reach by some new means the  outcasts who lie perishing around
us? It was the presence of Jesus which excited victorious courage in the four
bearers of the palsied man:
is not the  Lord among us now? Have we seen His face for ourselves this
morning? Have we felt His healing power in our own souls? If so, then through
door, through window, or through roof, let us, breaking through all
impediments, labour to bring poor souls to Jesus. All means are good and
decorous when faith and love are truly set on winning souls. If hunger for
bread can break through stone walls, surely hunger for souls is not to be
hindered in its efforts. O Lord, make us quick to suggest methods of reaching
Thy poor sin-sick ones,  ;and bold to carry them out at all hazards.

Evening: Seas of Tempest
"There is sorrow on the sea; it cannot be quiet." --Jeremiah 49:23

Little know we what sorrow may be upon the sea at this moment. We are safe in
our quiet chamber, but far away on the salt sea the hurricane may be cruelly
seeking for the lives of men. Hear how the death fiends howl among the cordage;
how every timber starts as the waves beat like battering rams upon the vessel!
God help you, poor drenched and wearied ones!  My prayer goes up to the great
Lord of sea and land, that He will make the storm a calm, and bring you to your
desired haven! Nor ought I to offer prayer alone, I should try to benefit those
hardy men who risk their lives so constantly. Have I ever done anything for
them? What can I do? How often does the boisterous sea swallow up the mariner!
Thousands of corpses lie where pearls lie deep.
There is death-sorrow on the sea, which is echoed in the long wail of widows
and orphans. The salt of the sea is in many& nbsp;eyes of mothers and wives.

Remorseless billows, ye have devoured the love of women, and the stay of
households. What a resurrection shall there be from the caverns of the deep
when the sea gives up her dead! Till
then there will be sorrow on the sea. As if in sympathy with the woes of earth,
the sea is for
ever fretting along a thousand shores, wailing with a sorrowful cry like her
own birds, booming
with a hollow crash of unrest, raving with uproarious discontent, chafing with
hoarse wrath,
or jangling with the voices o f ten thousand murmuring pebbles. The roar of the
sea may be
joyous to a rejoicing spirit, but to the son of sorrow the wide, wide ocean is
even more forlorn
than the wide, wide world. This is not our rest, and the restless billows tell
us so. There is a
land where there is no more sea--our faces are steadfastly set towards it; we
are going to the
place of which the Lord hath spoken. Till then, we cast our sorrows on the Lord
who trod the sea of old, and who maketh a way for His people through the depths
 thereof.