From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daily devotions for 08-29-2005:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: The Need For Oil
Evening Title: Fruit From Jesus
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: The Need For Oil
"Oil for the light." --Exodus 25:6

My soul, how much thou needest this, for thy lamp will not long continue to
burn without it. Thy snuff will smoke and become an offence if light be gone,
and gone it will be if oil be absent.
Thou hast no oil well springing up in thy human  nature, and therefore thou
must go to them that sell and buy for thyself, or like the foolish virgins,
thou wilt have to cry, "My lamp is gone
out." Even the consecrated lamps could not give light without oil; though they
shone in the
tabernacle they needed to be fed, though no rough winds blew upon them they
required to be trimmed, and thy need is equally as great.  Under the most happy
circumstances thou canst not give light for another hour unless fresh oil of
grace be given thee.

It was not every oil that might be us ed in the Lord's service; neither the
petroleum which
exudes so plentifully from the earth, nor the produce of fishes, nor that
extracted from nuts
would be accepted; one oil only was selected, and that the best olive oil.
Pretended grace from natural goodness, fancied grace from priestly hands, or
imaginary grace from outward ceremonies will never serve the true saint of God;
he knows that the Lord would not be pleased with rivers of such oil. He goes to
the olive-press of Gethsemane, and draws his supplies from Him who was crushed
therein. The& nbsp;oil of gospel grace is pure and free from lees and dregs,
and hence the light which is fed thereon is clear and bright.
Our churches are the Saviour's golden candelabra, and if they are to be lights
in this dark world, they must have much holy oil. Let us pray for ourselves,
our ministers, and our churches, that they may never lack oil for the light.
Truth, holiness, joy, knowledge, love, these are all beams of the sacred light,
but we cannot give them forth unless in private we receive oil from God the
Holy Ghost.

Evening : Fruit From Jesus
"Sing, O barren."      --Isaiah 54:1

Though we have brought forth some fruit unto Christ, and have a joyful hope
that we are
"plants of His own right hand planting," yet there are times when we feel very
barren. Prayer
is lifeless, love is cold, faith is weak, each grace in the garden of our heart
languishes and
droops. We are like flowers in the hot sun, requiring the refreshing shower. In
such a
condition what are we to do? The text is addressed to us in just such a state.
"Sing, O barren, break forth and cry aloud." But what can I sing about? I
cannot talk about the present,
and even the past looks full of barrenness. Ah! I can sing of Jesus Christ. I
can talk of visits
which the Redeemer has aforetimes paid to me; or if not of these, I can magnify
the great love
wherewith He loved His people when He came from the heights of heaven for their
redemption. I will go to the cross again.

Come, my soul, heavy laden thou wast once, and thou didst lose thy burden
there. Go to Calvary again. Perhap s that very cross which gave thee life may
give thee fruitfulness. What is my barrenness? It is the platform for His
fruit-creating power. What is my desolation? It
is the black setting for the sapphire of His everlasting love. I will go in
poverty, I will go
in helplessness, I will go in all my shame and backsliding, I will tell Him
that I am still His
child, and in confidence in His faithful heart, even I, the barren one, will
sing and cry aloud.

Sing, believer, for it will cheer thine own heart, and the hearts of  ;other
desolate ones.
Sing on, for now that thou art really ashamed of being barren, thou wilt be
fruitful soon; now
that God makes thee loath to be without fruit He will soon cover thee with
clusters. The
experience of our barrenness is painful, but the Lord's visitations are
delightful. A sense of our
own poverty drives us to Christ, and that is where we need to be, for in Him is
our fruit
found.