On Tuesday 25 March 2003 16:30, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> > Concerned that RH7.3's included JFS is unstable... thinking about
> > switching to ext3 for the jbod. Thoughts? Will probably upgrade to
> > Red Hat 9 within a month.
>
> I'm not sure how up to date the JFS code is in 2.4.18-26.7.xsmp.
> I'll try to find out by tomorrow if there are any known problems that
> may have been fixed.

>From what I can tell, the JFS code in 2.4.18-27.7 (and older) is very
out of date.  It seems to be equivalent to JFS 1.0.20.  We fixed a
pretty severe problem in 1.0.24 that caused big problems with SMP
kernels.

The 2.4.20-2.54 kernel on rawhide has much more up-to-date JFS code.

I can't recommend using JFS using RH7.3's SMP kernel.  If you are
willing to patch RH's kernel with the latest JFS and build it yourself,
or use the rawhide kernel, you would be better off.  Otherwise you may
want to use ext3 until you move to Redhat 9, which I believe will have
a more modern version of JFS.
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center