Thanks. Essentially, then, this works like the FOUND directory structure under HPFS. I changed the flags on the contents of lost+found yesterday evening, and started poking around. The majority of the files were small (actually, they were my constantly updated email signature with the uptime entry, added by a little app I have running - updsig.exe; when the system goes down dirty, there are usually a couple signature.txt files left floating in limbo, so this was no surprise). There were also some squid logs mixed in for good measure; again open stuff that couldn't get closed.

What actually prompted me to go hunting was that a couple days ago, I downloaded the latest Central Command Vexira antivirus rescue disk iso (~11MB). After a system crash (my own fault, as these things usually are), I noticed that chkdsk picked up on the fact that the iso was orphaned. After the system came up I was able to verify that indeed, my download directory for Central Command was empty. I wanted to reclaim the 11MB which I figured would be somewhere in lost+found.

One quick follow-up to this, then: are the contents in lost+found included in disk space calculations? My guess is that they are, as I haven't seen mention of some automated purge function to clear or age the contents, so it would probably be unwise to exclude the contents from these figures.