On Monday 31 March 2003 08:35, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
> Thanks. Essentially, then, this works like the FOUND directory
> structure under HPFS. I changed the flags on the contents of
> lost+found yesterday evening, and started poking around. The majority
> of the files were small (actually, they were my constantly updated
> email signature with the uptime entry, added by a little app I have
> running - updsig.exe; when the system goes down dirty, there are
> usually a couple signature.txt files left floating in limbo, so this
> was no surprise). There were also some squid logs mixed in for good
> measure; again open stuff that couldn't get closed.

By design, after replaying the journal, the JFS file structure should
always be consistent, so nothing should really end up in /lost+found
unless there were I/O or software errors.  However, it doesn't appear
to be a major problem in your case.

> One quick follow-up to this, then: are the contents in lost+found
> included in disk space calculations? My guess is that they are, as I
> haven't seen mention of some automated purge function to clear or age
> the contents, so it would probably be unwise to exclude the contents
> from these figures.

Yes, for space calculations, /lost+found is treated like any other
directory.
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center