---------- Initial Header -----------

>From      : "Dave Kleikamp" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To          : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc          : "JFS Discussion" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date      : Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:29:55 -0500
Subject : Re: [Jfs-discussion] fsck.jfs CATASTROPHIC ERROR 24: i'm desparate :(

> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 04:23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi!
> >  i cannot any more mount a 7GB jfs filesystem. when i try to fsck.jfs it, fsck
> > stops complining about -11024 internal error... my fsck version is 1.1.1. Seems
> > that the file that fires the error  (fsckmeta.c) didn't change very much in
> > 1.1.3 (i think it only changed the way it outputs error messages) but anyway the
> > error could not be local to that file. where can i find a  statically linked
> > 1.1.3 fsck.jfs? is that worth to try with that?
>
> I can't recall seeing this error before.  I don't expect the 1.1.3
> fsck.jfs to help, but you never know.  Why statically linked?  Is this
> your root filesystem?

in fact it doesn't help. yes... it is (was?) my root filesystem... and i'm
starting from a live cd. anyway i compiled it statically linked on a old
slackware...
mounting read only works... but when i dig into the mount point... it is empty.
dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/something/my_fs
stops after the 2GB limit...

then i'm trying:
strings /dev/hda | gzip -9 > /mnt/something/my_strings.gz
but then how will i decompress my_strings.gz, since linux has a 2GB file size
limit???

> > please is there a way to recover as much data as i can? any trick/hack? i annot
> > ever dd from that device to a file in an other filesystem because that device is
> > bigger than 2GB :(
>
> Are you able to mount the file system read-only?  You may be able to
> recover most of the data this way.
>
> Did fsck print any error messages prior to the -11024 internal error?
> I'm trying to determine what would cause this error.

no error before, unless called with the -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv option...
anyway error (-11024.0.0.0) happened in phase 3.

if only i managed to dump /dev/hda2 in binary form to a backup file i could try
to skip phase 3 by inserting a wonderful return FSCK_OK... what do you think
about it?

> Thanks,
> Shaggy
> --