On Apr 29, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Mandy Chung <mandy.ch...@oracle.com> wrote:

>> jdeps is not the only JDK tool not in /usr/bin. The sym links from
> /usr/bin are not created by the JDK installer.

This still seems potentially a little confusing to anyone trying to locate the
commands, or anyone who might just assume all commands are /usr/bin. It seems
harder to keep track of than it would be if everything was consistently
/usr/bin.

> /usr/bin/j* are linked to
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands
> probably part of OS install and I guess it's a snapshot of JDK 7
> commands.

It does make sense that anything not here could be missed. I think, originally,
this goes back to the Apple JVM’s. It was probably last openjdk updated as you
suggest for JDK 7, or not updated at all, then it would then have been last
updated JDK 6 or even earlier if JDK 6 had no changes.

> If a JDK tool is added or removed for a new version of JDK, it
> won't be reflected in /usr/bin.  You may want to follow up your
> question from macosx-port-dev mailing list.

I can certainly do this but my understanding is that this project is no longer
active. It receives the occasional courtesy copy from other lists, or a user
question once in a while, but I didn’t think it was being actively followed by
anyone maintaining the JDK? No harm though I’m sure, so I’ll raise the issue.

Michael Hall