Robert B. Grossman sent [2.05p gmt 2004 March 17 Wednesday] :

>If the Jmol application can be launched automatically whenever a
>file with MOL or PDB extension was loaded by Safari, that would be a
>big help.  I still think a Safari plug-in that calls the Jmol applet
>and activates it within Safari would be better, because it's a pain
>to go back and forth between apps, but as a stop-gap measure, what
>you suggest is good.  Maybe I can interest a computer science
>student here in writing a plug-in that would call the applet instead
>of the stand-alone app, if you have other priorities right now.
>
>The user will need a way to tell Safari which file extensions should
>make it call Jmol.  And yes, there needs to be some simple mechanism
>that installs the plug-in or whatever that trains Safari to call
>Jmol.  (A *very* simple mechanism, please.  I know almost no UNIX,
>and if I wanted to learn it, I wouldn't have bought a Mac!)

I think it was Miguel who mentioned using a signed applet in lieu of a
plug-in.  this seems a simpler and more robust solution, but maybe I
don't understand the problem correctly.  why wouldn't a signed applet
work here?

regards,

:tim

--
timothy driscoll
molvisions - molecular graphics & visualization