Jan wrote:

we already have
monitor 111 112 113
why not
getProperty("measure","[LIP]3:A.O5","[LIP]3:A.O6","[LIP]3:A.O7")

sure, we'll do something like this.

a monitoring function on your callback.htm

monitor: measurementsChange
works for me, but I miss the corresponding e.g. "monitor 1 2 3" command which would be much more readable if 1 2 3 where atomInfo[0].info strings

OK

monitor:measureSelection
didn't work?

It doesn't do what you think. First click on "load caffeine.xyz;set picking DISTANCE"

Now start clicking, while monitoring that property.

I use callbacks in RasMol to query e.g. which amino acids are in 3.2 A distance to a hetero component

(echo "load pdb inline\nselect within(3.2, [LIP]3) and not [LIP]3\nshow selected group\nexit\n";cut 1imb.pdb) | rasmol -nodisplay | evaluateMakeRasMolScriptFromIt.pl | rasmol

without any user, the startup JmolScript could replace the interacting user, that is the main use for messageCallback

Ah, I see. OK. Well, it's an interesting question how to do:

PDB FILE | (cut off a chunck) | (do something with it) | Jmol

I don't know how Jmol is set up for command-line work like this. It hardly seems like it would be necessary to run Jmol twice (like you are running rasmol twice). Maybe this is a nice use for rasmol instead of Jmol. It does work there --- so why Jmol?

Robert M. Hanson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 507-646-3107
Professor of Chemistry, St. Olaf College
1520 St. Olaf Ave., Northfield, MN 55057
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."  - Albert Einstein