>Some comments on these bits:
>
>> I have been asked questions
>> such as  "what is the lifetime of a  WEO", and what happens
>> in eg  10 years time when the Java virtual engine is no longer
>> installed/supported on the majority of Web  browsers.
>
>Jmol is opensource! There is absolutely no reason not to copy the Java
>code into any other more trendy language. I really don't care about a
>possible end of Java (see also below), because the code can be ported to
>any language.

That was not quite my point. Xmol was opensource (one of the first)
and because it was opensource, Jmol could be created.  But lets not
forget that the  Jmol project started in  1996,  but perhaps did not
reach maturity until 2002?  It took a considerable effort to move
Xmol to Jmol.   And Jmol is of course much bigger now than
Xmol ever was.

And I should remind us all that  Rasmol was opensource,
but its  "wrapping"  as Chime of course was not.  There is an interesting
history to how this happened (I was sort of involved)  but here
is not the place to recount that story
--

Henry Rzepa.
+44 (020) 7594 5774 (Voice); +44 (0870) 132 3747 (eFax); [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Voracious anti-spam filter in operation for received email.
If expected reply not received, please phone/fax).