On 6/13/07, Angel Herraez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I understood that iPhone uses plain MacOSX, so how is Java prevented
> from working? Do they block installation? What happens with other plugins,
> like Flash? Can't the browser be supplemented?

If it is true that he puts MacOSX in mobile phone, than how is he
calling java "big and heavyweight"? This is pure nonsense. My cheap
prepaid mobile phone from 4 years ago has a java interpreter in it,
but it sure can't run OSX. Even if the iPhone wouldn't run OSX, it
still has enough processing power to run all the java one wants. Also,
as far as I understood it, java is also way faster than it used to be
(also relative to computing power of course) and Steve Jobs is just
digging up old cows, as we say in Holland. This smells of dusty old
politics and fud-spreading.

Another reason why Jobs is talking out of his rear end: on my old pc I
can run Jmol in a browser slowly but it works, whereas some of the
more heavy stupid flash banners (trying to put whole movie trailers in
a flash banner) will fire up the CPU to 100% usage and bring my
browser to a halt. That is also a matter of the quality of the
programmer, the youtube flash plugin is excellent in that aspect, runs
without problems on older machines as well.

(to Egon: it couldn't have been anyone from Sun, since otherwise they
would have suggested iPhone to work as a light client connecting to
some mainframe, as that is the future for many years already now ;)
Gotta love Sun, though, they've been doing some pretty good stuff
lately, I really hope they manage to survive and get on top this way.)

--
greetings, Pim