OK, this is a bit tricky. It IS the way it is designed to work, but that
is not well described.
Generally, you can do this:

select atomno=100
font label 12 sans bold
color label blue
label Ala324

And the label will go in as size 12, blue. But, if you have defined a
default font and color and you do the same thing, the "label" command
picks up the defaults instead. So in that case, if you are using
defaults, you have to change the font and color AFTER the "label" command:

select atomno=100
label Ala324
font label 12 sans bold
color label blue

I don't know if this is reasonable or not. But that is the way Jmol is
configured. (And always has been, I think.)

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900