Thanks for that neat lesson in detective work, I will be using the
history tricks you demonstrate.

I use a single labels script throughout a set of figures, thinking
that selecting something that's not there would not have a negative
effect. (There, I was certainly wrong.) But a few if statements in the
script, I  imagine, should enable Jmol to avoid those calls that
select no atoms.

Frieda