ChemDoodle is proprietary, but Chemdoodle web components (that's what Bob
referred to) is open source (GPL)
It uses javascript and doesn't need Jmol on the server side. You can feed the
script with a PDB file and it will eventually render it in the WebGL canvas
(graphics are nice and fast on my desktop computer by the way).
Server side they use programs to speed up the process for parsing PDB files and
convert them to a JSON molecule object that the javascript can render faster.
They have also other utilities to perform other computations and in a former
post on their web sites they advertised that they are investigating using Jmol
on the server side.
Paul