The user enters in a sequence of h's and p's, which starts off as a linear
chain of amino acids. After folding, the linear chain usually takes on a
'globular' form. Each amino acid is represented as a single red (hydrophobic)
or blue (hydrophilic) sphere. The folding model does not deal with anything at
the level of atoms, only amino acids. I hope this answers your question.

Aaron Germuth
This sounds very interesting. When you do the folding, do you do it
strictly in terms of residue locations in space? That is, no real atoms? Or
is there at least a backbone to work with?

I'm not sure what you mean by minimization. Keep in mind this program is just
an educational model and is not meant for proteins thousands of amino acids
long. In fact, attempting to fold a protein even one hundred amino acids long
would take over a day. I intend to use this only on very small proteins.

Aaron Germuth
It seems to me there will be a significant amount of minimization to be
done. That is beyond the scope of Jmol. Jmol can minimize small sections of
a model, but not a full protein.