More than whteher Jmolis capable or not, my icreasing concern is
whether this makes sense.

> I would say this goes far beyond the capability of Jmol. You will
> need way more sophisticated tools to do those "adjustments"

>     Since I'm doing this project through my University, I'm not sure if
>     I'm legally allowed to let you help with the physical code portion.
>     I'll have to get back to you. However, If this is allowed, I would
>     gladly embrace your help.

Well, after all, your email was entitled "Help" ;-)
I understand.

>     The HP Protein Folding Model is a simplified model which computers
>     can use to fold proteins.

I realize what the basis and limitations are. Is this "HP" an
algorithm you have developed, is it published?

>     This is a problem I've thought about, as some amino acids such as
>     phenylalanine are much larger than say, glycine. The goal I'm
>     personally going for is to get as close as we can to the folded
>     model, while obeying molecular structure. We might have to edit the
>     Jmol structure if overlap occurs.

Not only overlap, but unrealistic bonding distances. I'm not sure
this is sensible.

>     This goes as before. We can attempt to rotate the peptide bond as
>     much as possible to get the closest match.

You see? Speaking of rotating the bonds as much as possible is scary.
Peptide bonds do have their prefered orientations.

>     The results given from the finished project also are not expected to
>     give entirely realistic proteins.

Certainly not.

> However, the results we do obtain
>     can be directly compared to an experimentally found .pdb of proteins.

Not necessarily; too many constraints in the approximation. I'm not
sure any comparison can be made.

>     To evaluate the results of the algorithm
>     before, we simply had to observe that hydrophobic residues appeared
>     in the middle, and hydrophilic residues on the outside.

That you are already seeing with your lattice model. You don't need
the residues structures.

Anyway, I wish you good luck, but I'd say think it twice before
embarking into this.

·
 Dr. Angel Herráez
 Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
 Dept. of Systems Biology, University of Alcalá
 E-28871 Alcalá de Henares  (Madrid), Spain