I am referring to the "deferred-applet" mode where an initial image is
displayed and with a click on that image the 3D canvas/model is
activated (whether preloaded or not).

I have not tried anything like that yet, just trying to figure out what
the limitations are.

Let's say I have a number of such images (as described above) on one
webpage, and some have been activated.

How many such activated instances would a typical browser be able to
handle?

Is there a way to "close" the once activated instance so it returns to
the starting image (and releases any computer/browser resources that it
utilized when it was active)?

Thanks,

PM