I'm a little behind on digests right now, so this topic may well have been
put to rest already. I would just like to put in one or two thoughts on
this.

After the talk of "side effects" of drugs, i was reminded of a conversation
i once had with a lecturer of mine, a clinical psychologist by trade. He
said that our attitudes towards medication really should change. Firstly
because many people seem to be given medication as a "qucik fix" solution- a
quick fix for both patient and professional.  While this may be quick, it
certainly does not "fix" the underlying problems.  He also made a very
pertinent point as regards these "side  effects". It would seem wiser, in
some regards, to think of side effects as *other* effects of the drug. These
may not be the intended effect, but their occurence can not be swept into
what many of us would/could interpret as an unimportant bracket-"side
effect".
Consider for a moment the case of the drugs most commonly administered to
individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia- chlorpromazine and clozapine.
Perhaps if Heather were still knocking around the list, she could support my
claim that these drugs have the effect of blocking dopamine activity. They
are administered due to the belief that  an excess of dopamine causes
shizophrenia (or at least causes in part; there is indeed empirical evidence
to support this with some, not huge, degree of confidence).  These drugs
*do* yield positive results, don't get me wrong...... they **do** lessen the
schizophrenic characteristics that were previously exhibited.  They aren't,
however, without inherent problems- problems that are too often described
away as "side effects". The above mentioned drugs have been shown to lead to
short term parkinsomism. So, then anti-parkinsons drugs have to be
administered, and this, i think, brings us back to one of the
original/earlier points of this thread.
Consistent long term use can lead to permanent damage of the nervous system,
and result in tardive dyskinesia.  The thing that hits me hardest is the
fact that these drugs do not help in any way about 25% of those that they
are given to.
 My point is that we need to see that while drugs can be, and are, helpful,
they are (or rather should be) only ONE part of an overall treatment or
intervention, and that doses better serve most individuals in small and
short term doses, if at all needed.

Mary said:
> fads in psychology come and go.  the 80's/early 90's fad was everything
was
>caused by psychological trauma.  today it's everything is biological.  the
>ruth is somewhere in the middle between these extremes, plus other factors
>too i'm sure (like unhappy marriage, poor job situation, lack of money,
etc.)

I agree with this sentiment. The most modern beliefs are *integrative* of
all the theories taht have come before for the vast majority of what we can
call the commonly occuring mental illnesses, including, for example,
depression and shhizophrenia. This seems to make a lot of sense considering
that there is a wealth of literature and statistics and case studies that
will lend support to theories coming from points of view as diverse as the
biological/genetic theories, cognitive theories, social theories and so on.

Someone commented that mental illnesses are caused by physical abnormalities
in the brain. I don't think that we know enough about either mental
illnesses or the brain to be able to make a hard and fast statement of that
kind. I would opt for the "on the fence" standpoint: perhaps physical
abnormalities (including retarded chemical production) do play a role in the
liklihood of developing a mental illness, but couldn't say that they are the
sole cause.
 Someone also said that no amount of will and self determination will help
people with mental illnesses. I can see arguements supporting this
viewpoint, but it all comes down to what you are defining as "mental
illness". For example, most of us would consider depression a mental
illness, and i for one do believe cognitive and behaviour therapy's that
stress this positive thinking can be immensely helpful in helping to deal
with some forms of depression.

I think (i stress the i think here) that Colin said that drugs merely "shove
the feelings further down". I would qualify this with "sometimes". Other
times, and i guess this is the intention, the drug helps people to cut out
behaviour and/or thoughts that are impedeing their ability to *deal with the
feelings*, if it is indeed feelings that need dealing with. I realise that
i'm probably making very little sense because i'm talking in such
generalities.

To close with i'd like to mention that in order to come up with an
intervention for a mental problem, or a psychological problem of any sort, a
formulation must be made.. The factors to be considered are: the
predisposing factors, this could include a genetic vulnerability; the
precipitating factors, this could include some major event, or be more like
family life cylce transitions; and then the maintaining factors, the things
that keep the problem going.

i hope that i didn't sound *too* didactic, for that was not my intention. i
intended only to voice some thoughts on one or two issues of interest to me
that arose in the course of the discussion.
GARRET