"someone commented"

> Someone commented that mental illnesses are caused by physical
abnormalities
> in the brain. I don't think that we know enough about either mental
> illnesses or the brain to be able to make a hard and fast statement of
that
> kind. I would opt for the "on the fence" standpoint: perhaps physical
> abnormalities (including retarded chemical production) do play a role in
the
> liklihood of developing a mental illness, but couldn't say that they are
the
> sole cause.

I never said they were the "sole" cause of mental illness.  I was referring
to the post that was advocating the complete disregard and disuse of
drugs to treat mental illness, and as a matter of fact, as I understood it,
a complete disuse of drugs of this kind in general.   There has been
extensive research done on mental illness and of course there are many
different therapies to deal with it, INCLUDING drug therapy.  A variety of
therapeutic measures may be used.  Among the kinds of therapy used are
antipsychotic agents and psychotherapy, depending on the individual and the
individual case.  And of course there are many different causes of mental
illness including environmental, brain abnormalities, etc.  The drugs do
work on the brain and the body to alleviate some of the symptoms, and used
in conjunction, or without, other therapies are very beneficial.  As far as
what we know about the brain and mental illness, the research has been
extensive and there is most certainly more to learn but much has been
learned already, therefore the great strides medicine has made into the
problems of mental illness.

"someone also said"

>  Someone also said that no amount of will and self determination will help
> people with mental illnesses. I can see arguements supporting this
> viewpoint, but it all comes down to what you are defining as "mental
> illness". For example, most of us would consider depression a mental
> illness, and i for one do believe cognitive and behaviour therapy's that
> stress this positive thinking can be immensely helpful in helping to deal
> with some forms of depression.

Of course psychotherapy,  postive thinking, behavioral therapy, etc. are all
beneficial in helping with depression.  In the context of my earlier post I
was referring to someone with severe mental illness.  Of course there are
people who are strong enough to overcome their problems by their will or
therapy alone, or positive thinking alone, etc.  Again, I was referring to
someone who is not able to overcome these things without drugs.  That was
the entire point of my post.  Some people are not able to do so and are not
able to function in this world.  They are at their last stop.  Drugs can be
beneficial.  I never said there were not side effects.  I never said they
were for everyone, etc.  Some, like my brother, and I am not trying to make
my point stronger by placing someone close to me into the argument ,(as
someone suggested) cannot be helped by therapy alone.  He cannot live in
this world by positive thinking and all the good intentions of the human
race.  The only thing that has brought him back and allowed him to return to
reality are the drugs.  People here can debate whether or not drugs are
effective until the cows come home but I have seen it, with my brother, and
with many others.  In summation, drugs are beneficial to some, not to
others, have side effects, sometimes dangerous, sometimes not; but they have
a place and thank goodness, thank all the research and scientists who have
brought them to us.

Mack