Hi, all,

I've enjoyed reading the posts continuing the thread on hypocrisy.  I think
what makes Kakki, Colin and most of the people who post here NON-hypocritical
is their flexibility, and their honesty about their feeling conflicted when
that happens.

I think what makes us scornful of such people as Mr. Sullivan (alluded to in
an earlier post, he's an "openly" gay journalist who is openly scornful of
some of the subset lifestyles, in which it turns out he secretly
participates) and various other public figures (including some ex-presidents)
is their refusal to admit they've done anything wrong.  Such a refusal to see
yourself in anything less than a perfect light can get to eerie extremes
(viz. a certain former football player's apparently sincere belief that he
really didn't kill his ex-wife and another, since he just wouldn't do that
kind of thing, being the kind of guy he is, etc.).  By way of contrast, some
public figures can be "rehabiltated" in the public view if they do a
sufficient "mea culpa" job, such as (the soon to appear in SF with *gasp*
John Waters) wondrously made-up Tammy Faye (formerly Bakker).

One last note re: hypocrisy:  If you like the Simpsons *and* philosophy, get
a gander at The Simpsons and Philosophy:  The D'Oh of Homer.  Good chapter on
Hypocrisy, and many other philiosophical subjects there.

Pecae to all,

warmly,

walt