--- Wally Kairuz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> maugham is to me
> what the madeleine cookie was to proust.

I once tried reading that darn Proust thing and I got
so sick of that madeleine that I just couldn't go on.
I know Proust was supposed to be a great writer, but I
just couldn't handle it - enough of the damn cookie!
Get on with it, willya?  Just eat the bloody thing and
get it over with! Most of the time, I give a book a
chance and if it doesn't grab me right from the start,
I still give it a chance, and then I usually get right
into it in a little while.  There are few books that I
actually STOPPED reading because I just didn't want to
go on with it - Proust's is one of two; the other was
something dealing with the Irish revolution (or
actually earlier than that, I guess) and I can't
remember the name or who it was by, but reading the
phone book would have been more interesting.  Probably
the only two books in my life that I started but
didn't finish.