Mark wrote:

> As I recall, Joni said that she was more interested in figurative
> painting and abstraction was the flavor of the day.  So her
> instructors were somewhat dismissive of the type of painting she
> wanted to do.  I don't remember what interview or article this is from
> but I believe she also said that students with a talent or inclination
> toward figurative art were more or less pushed toward commercial art
> and not viewed as serious artists.

I know she had some pretty blunt remarks to make in the KCSN interview at
LACE in '99 and I think I've read a few interviews in print where she has
expressed the same. I also think she got turned off just as with the piano
lessons.

Off to turkey and pie and friends and family and a few days off - happy
weekend to all!

Kakki