Last night I was so happy to see my favorite vocalist (and old friend of our
Fred Simon) Kurt Elling and group perform here at the Jazz Bakery.  The
legendary Bob Sheppard (of recent Joni and Steely Dan fame) sat in on sax.
It was a stunning concert and I don't think I've ever seen an audience quite
so rapt and somewhat swooning throughout.  Elling began with a tribute to
the passing of George Harrison singing "Goodbye Clifford Brown."  He went on
to sing a number of knock over gorgeous love songs from his latest album
"Flirting with Twilight" (on which Sheppard and Peter Erskine appear). He
also did an extended, amazing vocalese to some John Coltrane music. There
always seems to be a few legendary cats coming to see him here.  I saw two
gentlemen hugging and exclaiming how they'd played Monterey together 15
years ago and learned that one of them was Billy Childs. Elling has been
touring all over and will be at the Jazz Alley in Seattle 12/6 - 12/9, then
going on to Paris, Chicago, Australia, Vancouver and more through May.  I
can't rave about him enough - he is truly rare and I highly recommend
hearing him.

On another note - it must be the season for the celebs to be out and about
in L.A.  Yesterday I saw June Haver in West Hollywood, Frankie Avalon in
Beverly Hills, and then the topper late last night at the Bel Air Hotel bar
of a table of Sean Penn, Robin Wright, David Spade and another cute actor I
couldn't identify (we were outside having smokes at one point and Spade
later said "good night" to me ;-) - and at the other end of the room, Loni
Anderson and a few friends.  No Joni, although this afternoon in Venice I
saw an EXACT clone of Joni (right down to the hat and jewelry) as she may
appear in another 10 years!

Kakki