Mary Powers wrote:

> in anima rising, when Joni sings "you're just notches liberation doll"
> what does that mean?  I know what each word means, but putting it together
> confuses me.

Even though Joni prefers not to label herself "feminist," IMHO "Don't Interrupt the
Sorrow" is truly a feminist song.  I've always understood the phrase "You're notches
liberation doll" to be a man's put-down to a woman, something like:  "Regardless of
your attempts to be equal, you are and always will be just notches on a bed post."

However, JM reminds men that, regardless of their attitudes, the times they are
a'changin' ...

"Truth goes up in vapors
 The steeples lean
 Winds of change patriarchs
 Snug in your bible belt dreams"

Regarding "Anima rising," check out this link on the JMDL site:
http://www.jmdl.com/glossary/animarising.cfm

Lori
in MD

~
Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctionsfor all of your holiday gifts!