On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:30:42 Lori in MD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>> But the words are "YOUR notches," not "YOU'RE notches."

> Depends on your reference.  It's "your notches" here:
> http://www.jonimitchell.com/Hissing75LyricsHome.html
> and here:  http://www.jmdl.com/howard/music/tab/sorrow.txt

> but it's "you're notches" here:
> http://www.jmdl.com/lyrics/dontinterruptthesorrow.cfm

> I've always thought "your" was a typo.  Anyone?

The URL references you give were typed in by WallyB, Howard, and probably
Sue or Les, respectively.  The first two probably had as their source the
printed lyrics from the albums.  I'm pretty sure that Sue is of the opinion
that the correct words are "You're notches" so probably made that
correction.

But to further confuse the issue, I think the real words might be:

"Your notch is liberation, doll"

That's what I have always heard when I've listened to this song.

"You're notches, liberation doll"

sort of makes sense if the conversation between her and the man is about
women in general.

"your notches liberation doll"

makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

There many errors in the lyrics printed with her albums which were then
unfortunately carried over completely into the Lyrics book.  It's too bad
that Joni didn't have time to go over the book before it was published and
make corrections.  I hope she will do that someday!  Maybe she doesn't even
know that there are so many mistakes.

I know Howard made an attempt at one point to go through all the lyrics and
make corrections.  We could have a whole separate discussion list on what
all the corrections should be!  It would be an interesting exercise.

Marian
Vienna
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.jmdl.com/guitar/marian/guitar.htm