In a message dated 12/17/01 11:24:03 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I've always understood the phrase "You're notches liberation doll" to be a
man's put-down to a woman, something like:  "Regardless of your attempts to
be equal, you are and always will be just notches on a bed post." >>

But the words are "YOUR notches," not "YOU'RE notches." And I always thought
the man was disdainfully referring to the previous line ("A room full of
glasses") and then telling the woman that those empty glasses were her
notches, as in, "You think you're so great, but all you've done is get loaded
and / or get me loaded." In any case, there is a lot of drinking going on in
this song.

I do agree 100% that the man is belittling the woman in a men-are-superior
way.

Still waiting for chololates from Bree,

    --Bob