Dear Kate and all,

Help me to understand the scenario of the music industry at this time. If I
am reading correctly, the conglomerates of both the radio and the recording
industry are conspiring together to put Internet radio as well out of
business. The RAC on the other hand, is raising money to operate and stand up
for the rights of recording artists to be able to move on after a seven year
contract is up. By doing so, the inevitable demise of the record industry as
we know it will take place. So even though you are not anti record label, if
you affiliate yourself with the RAC, you will be considered anti-label to the
conglomerates. Whoa!

So where does that leave artists who are not on any kind of label scene yet,
but who plan to be in some form or fashion? It seems to me that the right
thing to do is stand up for the little guy and protect the rights of all
performers. If I'm getting this, it means to stand with the RAC and stand
against the Copyright office's ruling on Internet royalties. Does anyone want
to speculate what the future of the music industry will be like if it comes
RAC prevails and the Copyright office does not?

I am a member of Just Plain Folks and find it to be a very worthwhile and
worthy cause. It gives undiscovered artists the chance to be heard over
Internet Radio (Radio Free Virgin, I think it's called) The conglomerates
would make you think that if RAC has its way, it will be the end of major
acts as we know it. They say it's not fair because they need to have time to
develop an artist, and what is their incentive to sign someone if they know
they may only get one album from them before the artist becomes a "free
agent." I see their point in a way, but I also see people like that fellow
from the Byrds who is still waiting for his royalties. It doesn't appear to
be a fair system. What about those artists who have been very happy with
their labels and have had no complaints? Do they even exist? I would welcome
any feedback because I am eager to learn how this whole thing works.

Sherelle

In a message dated 02/26/2002 6:28:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:17:00 -0800
> From: "Kate Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Broadcasters Outraged over Proposed Reporting Rules NJC
>
> Here is a forwarded email I received from someone who is a broadcaster &
deeply involved in this issue:

Without your immediate involvement there are dire circumstances
for Internet streamers on the horizon for all but the fat corporate cats
and big 5 record labels.  You and your friends and U.S. listeners must make
some noise NOW.

U.S. Copyright law says online-streamed music must pay for performance
rights.  The price we are to pay has been in arbitration for most of the
last year.  Last week the results were announced and they are hideous.  The
proposed fees will cripple webcasting's future.  The RIAA and copyright
office don't care if you're making money or not.