I've been under a real tight deadline and have had to sit on the sidelines with this
debate.  However, I just have to ask about this one....

On 26 Feb 2002 at 19:15, Kakki wrote:

> I was unsure because I have seen cases where the RIAA intervened on
> behalf of the artists in royalty disputes involving the record
> companies.  On closer reflection, it may be that the artist has to be
> tied to one of the big record companies to begin with to receive their
> help!

Do you recall what those cases were?  The RIAA was very duplicity in the beginning of
the whole debate about music trading and new technology by implying that they were
looking out for the artists' interest.  They later recanted that statement because
they do
not now nor have they ever represented artists.  Ever.  They have always been a
lobbying group for record labels (they do have some members which are not majors).
Take a look at the board of directors. ( http://www.riaa.org/ - look under about us
and
leadership) With the exception of Dick Griffey, everyone on that list is affiliated
with a
major label group.

So the only way I could see them intervening on an artist's behalf in a dispute with a
label is if the artist owned the label, that label was an RIAA member and they were
having a problem with another label member that was their distributor.

Brenda

n.p.: the hum of my floor lamp