> Can anyone tell me more about house concerts- what they are, etc.? Has
anyone
> ever hosted one? Played for one? I'm thinking of hosting one, (or a
series of
> them if it goes well) and don't really know what they are all about, or
what
> would be expected of me. Thanks!

House concerts have become popular over the last several years and have
established themselves as a viable venue for acoustic music, an nice
alternative to the bar scene.  They are particularly common in the
northeast though you will find them in virtually every state these days,
some have become very successful, and you will find many national acts like
Darryl Purpose, David and Tracy Grammar, and lesser known acts as well
playing house concerts.

Here is the basic gist of a houseconcert.  The host, or hostess, decides to
have a house concert featuring a particular performer, or even a couple of
different performers.  She will then send out word to all her friends and
associates that there will be a house concert on such and such a date with
so and so.  In some cases, this may be advertised in a local paper, on a
website, sent out to a mailing list, etc...

Though the proccess differs slightly from venue to venue, usually there is
a requested donation, around $10, that is collected the night of the show.
I think it is done this way to avoid any legal hassles with charging ticket
prices for a public event(a venue in Georgia recently dealt with this very
issue) and also, its much nicer and meangingful to think that you're making
a donation which is really part of the whole point of the house concerts.
Generally all the money donated goes directly to the artist(s) and the host
does not profit from the performance.

So there is no money paid in advance however, it is very common for
reservations to be made as these are small, intimate venues and can tend to
fill up rather quickly.  Most houses will have a limited number of
seats(they vary greatly in size, some house concerts have become quite
large) anywhere from 30 to 40 or 50 people.   I think the reservations are
helpful as it allows you to know how many people to plan for and some very
successful venues, they will fill up rather quickly.

Generally, house concerts are done acoustically, with no equipment, as they
are intended to be an intimate affair, and this makes them rather intimate
and personal, something you will not find in a bar or large venue. The
hostess will usually provide some form of refreshments and perhaps ask some
friends to contribute some as well, brownies, chips, etc...There may be a
couple of bottles of wine, though my impression is the house concerts are
an alternative to the bar scene so alcholic consumption is rather minimal
if any, and not the focus of the evening.  There may be a donation basket
set up to assist with food costs though that is the perogative of the
hostess.

People will usually be asked to show up at least a half hour beforehand, to
allow everyone to be seated for the beginning of the show, allow some
mingling and refreshments, etc...so when the show starts the focus will be
on the artist.  Generally there is no smoking allowed at these things, and
the whole idea I think is to create a really nice atmosphere in which to
have a performance.

At one coffeehouse, that featured Kate Bennett, Jeff Bisch, and myself, we
had a friend come and make eggplant pizza earlier that afternoon, so there
was actually some dinner type food though that is probably more the
exception rather than the rule.  When it comes to having a house concert
though, the possibilities are wide open and it is something that you
create.  There are no rules really and you are only limited by your
imagination.  It might be nice to have some candles set up to create a
pleasant mood, etc...

I know that there are some websites set up that deal specifically with
house concerts and there is even a house concert database.  I hope this
gives you a good idea of what house concerts are and let me know if you
have any further questions.