Walt asks:

"I admit I'd not heard of this young woman before tonight, and she held up
playing herself in a silly skit -- so anyone know who she is?"

Walt, Walt, Walt.  You just must watch MTV!  As the parent of an adolescent
daughter I am down with all the current pop stars, even as I hear the
footsteps of approaching middle age. (people do live to be 100,right?)

Shakira is apparently an international pop star of some considerable note.
She is a native of Colombia, and her previous work has been in Spanish. Now
she's cashing in on the U.S. market and has just released her first English
language record, and she seems to be working hard to promote it.  From the 2
or 3 songs I have heard, her work is a cut above the basic belly button
brigade of blonde girl singers - I believe she does most of her own
songwriting, for whatever that is worth in this day and age.

Sybil