--- Sybil Skelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shakira is apparently an international pop star of
> some considerable note.
> She is a native of Colombia, and her previous work
> has been in Spanish. Now
> she's cashing in on the U.S. market and has just
> released her first English
> language record, and she seems to be working hard to
> promote it.  From the 2
> or 3 songs I have heard, her work is a cut above the
> basic belly button
> brigade of blonde girl singers - I believe she does
> most of her own
> songwriting, for whatever that is worth in this day
> and age.

Have you actually listened to the lyrics?  They can be
quite funny - I understand Gloria Estefan collaborated
in translating some of Shakira's songs into English,
so am not sure whether these are literal translations
or just words that fit nicely with the music (perhaps
a bit of both?)

In her song, "Whenever, Whatever" (I think that's its
name), she sings:
"Even though my breasts are small and humble
So you won't confuse them with mountains"
They read these out on a local radio show where they
do a bit called "Disc-lexia" from time to time
(people's misunderstanding of songs lyrics, along the
lines of "Scuse me while I kiss this guy") - and
everyone wanted to know what the REAL words were - as
it turned out, those WERE the real words.