Fred wrote:

> It's a really interesting question. I've put a lot of thought into it, and
> while I don't have it all figured out, I do think I have a few plausible
> answers. I'm not sure about the idea that she has become more interested
in
> exploring sonorities, because she has always been quite involved in that,
and
> has always excelled at it. Maybe you're right that she is now interested
in
> that to the detriment of melody and harmony.

I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this, Fred, and have gained
much understanding.  My reaction to early Joni vs. later Joni has always
been much the same.  The sea change for me started around HOSL, although I
was always to find many individual gems in subsequent albums and what didn't
grab me I sought to understand.  In the case of DJRD, after 20 years I
ultimately thought it was absolute genius.  Some things have happened the
last few years that has given me some serious reconsideration of her later
work.  One is hearing Marian Russell's renditions of it.  Somehow Marian is
able to find and amplify their gorgeous melodic essence.  She truly can
transform some of Joni's later music into something quite amazing with just
her voice and guitar.  Maybe some alchemy happens because she interprets the
songs acoustically and she can sing them with a high, clear voice similar to
the early Joni.  Some Joni songs I thought were ho-hum that became stunning
through Marian's interpretation are Moon at the Window, Wolf that Lives in
Linsday and, believe it or not, Ray's Dad's Cadillac!  The other thing that
made me think again was hearing the HOSL demos with only Joni and her piano.
If she'd gone that way for the final product she would have had the bookend
to FTR.  Laying the jazz on was innovative but it obscured a lot of the
original essence.  All this makes me think that the well has not run dry so
much as she has chosen somewhat arguably eccentric methods of rendering the
original melodies.  This could tie in to her intuitive side bumping up
against her desire to be creative in a medium in which, as you say, she is
"half-educated."  You or David Lahm or other accomplished jazz musicians can
take her melodies and do them right but maybe it gets a little messy or
something is lost to some ears when she tries to jazz them herself.
Regardless of any of this, I still appreciate everything she does, whether
it works for me, or I love it or not.  I always hold out the possibility
that she might just be way ahead of her time in some ways.  That doesn't
make her perfect as some of the "flaws" on TTT attest.  No matter how you
cut it Man From Mars would have been perfect had she stayed with the piano
and without the "big boohoo," and Taming the Tiger could have been more
profound lyrically without the "nice kitty kitty."

Have you every thought about how you might consider some of her later songs
if she kept it simpler - on acoustic guitar or piano - and was able to sing
them her original voice?

Kakki