I don't pretend to have the musical background of David Lahm, whose musical prowess I
have witnessed and delighted in first hand; and I'm sure that despite my musical
training, there are many here who are more advanced than I... but I have to object to
the objections to Joni's statement about her later work being more melodic and more
harmonically complex.  For me, the major distinguishing characteristic between her
"early" and "later" work (for me, the sea change begins to occur with C&S/HOSL, and is
firmly in place by Hejira) is that her early work has the overt, overarching melodic
lines one would associate with European music, particularly 19th century art songs, as
well as the American "folk" sensibility; and that her later work deals more with
internal melody: internal tensions, internal dissonances and internal resolutions --
which is, in fact, much more African than her earlier work (her earlier work could
only be described as African in her occasional use of bluesy !
bent notes, etc. -- a superficial African attribute.)  The end result is that we may
hear in her later work an increase in "texture," but in my view, "texture" is code for
more complex melodic structures.  The prevalence of major and minor seconds, both in
her tunings, in her chords and in her melodies increases drastically; the result is
more complex colorations and more complex emotional response, despite the comparative
reduction in "vertically" challenging melodies.  I would argue that people consider
her later work less melodic because they focus on the relative absence of soaring
melodies of the "Song to a Seagull" ilk; in addition, the emotional complexity of her
structures produces subconscious ambivalence or even confusion, but this is only
because we are not used to having our ears taxed in that way.  A quick listen to some
key traditions in world music will illustrate how comparatively destitute the western
aural palette is, apart from true blues & jazz (this comp!
arative destitution can largely be blamed on the dominance of!
 equal te
ning systems adopted in the 18th and 19th centuries, and western music's consequent
abandonment of just intonation); and to me, one of her great triumphs in music is
helping to create an increased tolerance and appreciation of dissonance and complex
colors in western pop music.  We all know that she should be more openly celebrated
than she is (if I have to watch Dylan get worshipped for caterwauling nonsense on one
more televised awards ceremony, I will pull out my hair), but I think that we are not
clear on WHY.  Yes, she is a brilliant poet and a brilliant composer; she has sung the
soundtrack to our lives; and she has always been ahead of her time; but I think that
the actual, core reasons WHY she is ahead of her time are not clearly understood.  My
contention is that she HAS become more melodically complex with time, and that it is
her evolving harmonic and melodic complexity that is her major contribution -- not her
confessional lyrics, nor her "female" point of view.

:-)

Kay Ashley

http://mail2web.com/ .