--- Buck - the - Dog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi, my name is Matt and I'm new to the JMDL.  There
> was mention of
> "Electricity" here recently, and I was just
> wondering, what is this song
> about?  I'm very analytical of Joni's songs and just
> can't figure this one
> out.  What are all these things references to?
> Like, "Proud headed Queen
> Lizzie" and the "masking tape."  Any kind of stanza
> by stanza explanation
> would be really welcome.  lol

Welcome, Matt. I'm far too lazy to get into any
line-by-line analysis of anything, but just off the
top of my head, the copper, proud-headed Queen Lizzie
would be a Canadian penny (has a picture of Liz on the
heads side). A common and unssafe practice when a fuse
blows is to put a penny in its place - don't try this
at home, kids.  I think she really meant electric
tape, rather than masking tape (I've never seen black
masking tape), but masking tape fit better in the song
(or maybe Joni didn't know it was called electric
tape.) ("The 'lectric tape tangles, it's sticky and
black and the copper, proud-headed Queen Lizzie
conducts little charges that don't get charged back."
She's talking about fixing some wiring/electrical
problems, but also about trying to fix a broken
relationship.  That's what it means to me, anyhoo.