> <<Well the technical manual's busy
> She's not going to fix it up too easy>>
>
> Here's an interesting metaphor...who's her "technical
manual"? Myrtle, her
> mother? Or a close friend? Or a professional
therapist? Regardless of who it
> is specifically, the person is not too receptive to
being the resource that
> Joni hopes she would be.

Here's another weird take on these lines. I always
thought the way she sings them was interesting, with
the syllable "man" being extended. So, I always thought
she was saying that he (the minus) was busy, but that
she couldn't quite bring herself to say that he was too
busy to pay attention to her, so she says "manual,"
which could also mean she relies on him for doing the
repairs. But, then reading Bob's interpretations below,
I think that makes sense too.

> <<And she holds out her flashlight
> And she shines it on me
> She wants me to tell her
> What the trouble might be>>
>
> So now rather than getting the desired advise from
whoever the "technical
> manual" may be, they are turning the tables and
asking her to define the
> problem. This leads me to believe that the "technical
manual" is a
> professional, who's trained to ask those kind of
questions..."so how did that
> make you FEEL", etc.
> <<She's not going to fix that up
> Too easy
> But she holds out her candle
> And she shines it in
> And she begs him to show her
> How to fix it again>>
>
> Like you would light a candle to provide a minimum
amount of light during a
> blackout, she shines a candlelight into the
"blackout" of the relationship.
> Coincidentally, candles are also considered romantic,
so she could be trying
> to symbolize the re-introduction of the romance.

Then again, she's asking HIM for advice, so maybe he is
the technical manual.

Ah, Joni is never easy :-)

lots of love
Anne