Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking this one on.  I am still interested in hearing if others hear Joni
in other
artists as well and pointing out those similarities.  When you think of all the people
who credit
Joni as an influence, you would think - there may be more.  I would like to discover
more songs,
lyric style and arrangements from other artists that dictate that influence, as
obviously as I
think this one does.

Spin Doctor Muller said:
> LCT is a masterpiece of a song on a masterpiece of a record, Susan...and I
> think your point is well made, RLJ acknowledges Joni as an influence BUT I would add
>that Tom
Waits (who she hung out with for a time prior to her
> debut) was probably also a big influence on this song. Tom's songs are full of car
>imagery as
well as stories of people who can't connect.

Point well taken, Bob. I do agree with what you say about the subject matter & being
connected,
having to do with her association with Waits.  However, in addition I point out the
massive
metaphor usage here, as in "Electricity."  Also, both in "Electricity" and "Last
Chance Texaco"
both artists seem to put themselves in the more narrative position.  So it comes down
to a strong
influences from both sides here, I imagine.

And agreeing further Waits has never exactly shyed away from a metaphor either.
Afterall, "the
piano has been drinking, not me."

> Thanks for printing the lyrics out - sometimes it's amazing to see them all
> printed out like that.

No problem, but the first verse is missing.  I just wanted to center on the parts that
made the
point more obvious.

Peace,
Susan