> I didn't mean to single you out at all Anne, and I'm
sorry if it came across that way.

No worries. I didn't take it personally at all.

> Maybe it is "all about oil" as far as the oil being
an important part of the region

Yes, I really do think so. If there were no oil there I
doubt we'd focus on the region the way we do.

> the whole situation goes back way before the Bushes
and before U.S. involvement.  I just can't get
> my head around thinking it all somehow started with
the Bushes or that they somehow
> orchestrate all the middle east oil transactions.

Yes, the religious tension is centuries old. Certainly
there's something of a crisis within the Moslem
religion about how to live in the modern world. I often
consider the fact that the Western world has evolved
from medieval times through the Renaissance, the
industrial revolution etc. (not to mention the American
revolution, which spawned a new way of thinking about
people's involvement in government.) In many Arab
countries, there were no such revolutions, cultural or
political. So starting around the 1920s, the Western
world began to encroach upon what was basically a
medieval-era culture. Suddenly the wealthy sheiks were
driving fancy Western cars on new wide roads. In the
meantime, the general population wasn't getting the
benefit of the wealth. Yet, culturally, it's taboo to
fault one's own people, one's own "tribe." So, who do
you blame? Those who caused this schism, the outsiders.
I believe this explains the appeal of Osama bin Laden.
He did split with his family, or so it seemed. He also
seemed to champion the cause of the average person, but
did so while calling upon the centuries old traditions
of his religion.

All this to say, the Bush family didn't start the
tension. However, their handling (both father and son)
of the Moslem world shows a lack of true understanding
of the cultural complexity of the history of the
region. Rather than being confrontational and saying
"You're evil because you're  not like us," both missed
an opportunity to appeal to the mainstream Moslem and
to give them a metaphorical "seat at the table." Had
that been done, we would have much more widespread
support worldwide. I don't think it's too late, but
it's certainly getting there. I believe Al Gore said it
correctly when he stated that George W. squandered a
world of goodwill in just a year.
The

> I've looked at Bush I's and Cheney's bios - they are
not what I would characaterize as oil men.

You and Jenny Goodspeed have inspired me to look at
this again. Thank you to Jenny for adding more
information to this discussion.

> I essentially don't think the US should be involved
in any other countries.
> I'm philosophically a non-interventionist.  I only
think we should intervene out of direct self-defense.

I understand your position, although I think that being
the most powerful nation carries some world
responsibilities with it. However, whenever possible, I
believe we should act through the U.N., in alliance
with other nations.

I'm enjoying this thoughtful discussion. Carefully
considering your position makes me rethink mine. In
some cases it reaffirms for me what I originally
thought and in others makes me go back and do more
reading.

lots of love
Anne