I know Both Sides NOw got similar flack that the orchestrations were "syrupy" or "overdone" but honestly they fit the subject material. And in concert all the covers done, "Hejira" "for the Roses" "Be Cool" and others were well adapted. I am not sure how mucht those songs will differ on record. HOnestly, I don't think this record was made to Blow ANyone away. I see it as a new introduction, a reinterpretation of familiar songs of past. Maybe I enjoy them, because I am a romantic type.. I have no clue if that has anything to do with it. I doubt Joni wanted this record to be the next best thing to Debussy, or Glass, or Edgar Varese, but to be only but true to what she wants it to be. Who knows? when interviews come out we'll see what she'll have to say.
Blair
NP: "Up on the Roof"-Laura Nyro

Hell yes I am buying it - I had it preordered a long time
ago - but I wonder what is the real purpose here, what is
supposed to blow me away, what is the new thing, why?

I am aching to hear new Joni material.

And as a seasons ticket holder to the opera and great lover
of classical music, I am not impressed by what sounds to me
more typical overblown orchestrations.  Kind of like the
Hollywood Sgrings playing Beatles songs, except in this
album we have Joni singing.

Damn I tried to like what I heard on the links, tried real
hard, and maybe when I play the album I will hear it
differently.

I will now duck from the angry responses that I will get.