You mean I don't have to be at the kid's table for Thanksgiving?!  ; )
I want to hear what you all think, mainly because I literally have been thinking about
this on and off for weeks and can't seem to come to any kind of conclusion.
To me, Hejira sounds like the ground-breaker.  But, because I was born 11 months after
STAS was released, I'll never know what it was like to hear her for the first time
(thanks Kate for saying what it was like).
I'm still wondering who laid the ground for her musical work.  Dylan opened up the
door on lyrics, perhaps Baez and Nyro influenced her vocally - but those chord
progressions, where did they come from?  The Beatles? Chopin?  Or was it as she has
said a product of her tunings.
Anyone else fascinated with how music evolves?
Okay, Jim, tag you're it!  Jenny
 "Jim L'Hommedieu (Lama)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Goodspeed, let's leave it at what?
You didn't SAY anything! What do YOU
think? Why did you raise all of these
questions for ME to answer? :) C'mon. You've got a fine head
on your shoulders! Give it up, girl! You're old enough to sit with the
grownups. Speak! Speak!

Lama

Jenny said,
>> So - this all has me thinking - when is an artist ground
breaking - when an artist truly comes up with something new
or combines influences in a way that has never been done
before? Specifically - when do you think Joni broke some
ground? And what was her contribution - lyrical...musical.

For pop/rock music history buffs - or heck for people who
were actually cognizant at the time - how do you see Joni
in the context of popular music? How about in music in
general? Did she truly become an original right of the
bat with STAS - or was that more a logical, albeit
creative outflow of what was happening around and before her?

I have a zillion other thoughts/questions, but let's leave it at