Mickey Hart.

Bree, you need to read Karen O'Brien's book.  As I recall, Joni learned to
play a baritone ukulele first because it was more affordable than a guitar.
While she did not invent open tunings for the guitar, she got minimal, and I
mean *minimal* instruction on the topic.

When you read Karen's book, you'll see that she has the intelligence and
grace to credit every single newspaper or magazine article, book or
interview she used.  She completely covers Kelly/Kilauren, Wally, and Simon.
And that Muller guy too.  :)

It's the perfect Christmas gift to the Joni fan on your list, or for
yourself.

Lama

Sample
=======
Karen's said,

Karen's voice:
Soon after arriving in New York she had considered getting a manager, but a
meeting with (Bob) Dylan's manager, Alan Grossman, convinced her that she
didn't need a Mr. Ten Per Cent of her own:

Joni's voice:
> He was a very intimidating man.  He smoked through his
> fist and had these big, bushy gray eyebrows.  One
> night he took me out for sushi... the bean curd smelled like urine that
night and I had such a hard time with it.  And he was sitting there, smoking
through his hand and looking at me like, 'Eat it up, if you want me to
manage you!'

Karen's voice:
They went back to her small apartment in Chelsea (yeah, this is the TRUE
source) and Mitchell recalls Grossman was discomfited by the feminine
trappings, the tasteful decoration and the lovingly restored vintage pieces
retrieved from the Detroit home she'd once shared with Chuck Mitchell:

Joni's voice:
> He walked in and he couldn't believe it - it was
> fixed up really  cute.  He couldn't figure out
> how I did it and he tried to talk me out of
> [music].  He said I was too domestic to be in
> the music business.  He took me over to his
> place and all he had was a pallet on the floor
> with black sheets.

> He said, "<italics on> YOU <italics off> don't need a manager."

pp 63-4;  "Shadows and Light: The Definitive Biography" from Virgin Books
Ltd., London 2001

Enticed?

Lama

PS, Yael, I think I told you this story in the car.  It's a perfect
"condescending male" tale isn't it?