You can do permanent damage to your voice if you use
it improperly over a period of time - you could be
straining while singing - but you could even cause
damage if you use your talking voice improperly.  Also
frequent persistant coughing or clearing of the throat
over time can cause damage.

Kakki - is it you who said Joni had throat surgery?
Do you know what it was for?

On Joni's early recordings, I do not hear any vocal
strain - her high notes are light and in her head
voice where they should be.  Performing live in large
venues is a whole different ball game, though, and
it's possible she did some damage in that way.  But, I
have no idea if that is the case.

Jenny